Independent Living Homes  |  Independent Living Apartments  |  Assisted Living  |  Memory Care  |  Nursing & Rehabilitation  |  In-Home Care 
Mennonite Village
      A Not-For-Profit Continuing Care Retirement Community in Albany, OR    Request Information
 
 
 
History of Mennonite Village
 

As Lydia Hostetler Stutzman of Harrisburg, Oregon entered her retirement years, she became concerned about who would care for her when she could no longer care for herself. When she asked her nephew, Frank Kropf, for advice, he suggested that she designate her estate to be used toward building a home where older persons who need its services would be welcomed to care for one another. She agreed, and in 1942, her estate was used to begin building a community for seniors.

As administrator of their aunt’s estate, Frank and his brother, Levi, decided to expand the mission by building a retirement home that would lovingly minister to elderly persons in their last years of life. As the word got out, donations began to pour in from various mid-Willamette Valley Mennonite congregations and other congregations from as far away as Kansas. In 1946, Frank spearheaded construction on the Mennonite Home.

A snapshot of key dates in our growth as a community follows:

1947 Opened a 24-room nursing home
1954 Added 28 beds, including a sunroom
1965 Built the first retirement duplex
1979 Held groundbreaking for an 80-bed nursing home
1980 Constructed homes on 53rd Avenue
1982 Constructed homes on Clay Street
1984-1985 Constructed homes on Davidson Street
1986-1987 Constructed Lakeside Center and 46 more retirement homes on Ermine Street
1987 Built and dedicated a new chapel
1988 Opened In-Home Care department and added 33 new retirement homes on Ermine Street
1990-1993 Constructed homes on Becker Circle
1995 Built and dedicated Quail Run, a 95-unit assisted living facility
1997 Received accreditation as a Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC) and celebrated 50 years
1997 Began construction of Lydia’s House, an Alzheimer’s and dementia care facility
1997-1999 Built 50 additional retirement homes on Foxglove Loop
1998 Opened Lydia's House Alzheimer's and Dementia Care
2000 Opened Ashwood Court I Congregate Living Apartments
2000-2003 Constructed 25 new homes on Goldfinch Loop and Heron Loop
2002 Changed name to Mennonite Village to reflect the village we have become
2004 Opened Ashwood Court II Congregate Living Apartments
2006 Purchased 76 adjoining acres to the east of the current campus
2007 Celebrated 60th Anniversary of Mennonite Village
2008 Began construction of 45 new homes on Heron Loop, Ivy Lane, Jasmine Lane, and Kestrel Lane
2009 Purchased 21.3 acres on Seven Mile Way
2010 Opened Mary's Place, Alzheimer's and Dementia Foster Care
2010 Purchased 92.86 adjoining acres to the south of current campus
 
 
 

Associations & Affiliations
Board of Directors
History
Mission
Key Personnel

 

   
Mennonite Village
5353 Columbus St., S.E.
Albany, Oregon 97322
(541) 928-7232
(541) 917-1399 Fax
E-mail Mennonite Village
 
   
Home
About Us
Contact Us
News
Events
Local Attractions
 
   
Residential & Care Options
Chaplaincy Services
Dining Services
Wellness Program
Volunteer Program
Nursing Assistant Program
 

 
 
Independent Living Homes
Independent Living Apartments
Assisted Living Apartments
Memory Care
Nursing & Rehabilitation
In-Home Care
 
   
Career Opportunities
Foundation & Donations
FAQs & Resources
Maps & Driving Directions
Privacy | HIPAA | Code of Conduct
Site Map